Sunday, June 3, 2012

Update

We are safe and sound in Philly as of Friday night. I haven't posted for a few days because I didn't know how I wanted to address this. Friday morning we were involved in a bad car accident. Everyone was ok but we were pretty shaken up about it.

We were driving eastbound on I70 just outside of Cambridge, Ohio. It was pouring rain when a westbound car lost control and flew over the median, hitting us at about 70mph. We saw the whole thing happening but couldn't avoid the collision. Jonathon was driving and moved into the righthand lane right as we hit, preventing a head-on collision. We are a little banged up but everyone ok.

I have never been so scared in my life. The impact blew both shoes off my feet and my cellphone flew out of my hand and shattered the windshield. The driver's side door blew upwards and off the hinges, just missing Jonathon, and our car was pushed into the siderail two lanes over. All airbags went off, the side airbags likely saving our lives. Both cars were totaled.

The police and fire department arrived in about 5-10 minutes. It was miracle that no one needed medical attention. The tow truck driver later told me that when they called in the accident they assumed that no one had survived, given the damage. The other car hit us so hard, the battery flew out of his car and across the interstate.

Through all of this, I can't help but think we are so blessed and God was watching over us. The craziest part of the whole thing is that about a half hour before the accident, I heard a voice in my head saying "make sure Jonathon has his seatbelt on". I looked over at him, checked both of our seat belts and that was that. I went back to fooling around on my phone, kind of laughing that the thought to check our seat belts would occur 5 days into our trip. Shortly after having this thought, our car was hit.

So appreciate every day, look out for one another and drive safely!!

No comments:

Post a Comment