Sunday, November 13, 2011

Remembering Margery Gill

Earlier this week I heard about a tragic accident that left a local woman dead.  At that time, she was unidentified and the only information provided in the news report were the crossroads where the accident had occurred.  I came home from work the next morning and told J about it.  I remember saying "I hope it wasn't a parishioner from our church" as the location of the accident was right around the corner from our parish.

This morning, upon arriving at church, I learned that a dear friend of mine had passed away on Tuesday.  I was in shock.  As we made our way into church to be seated a thought occurred to me.  "Oh my god" was all I could say.  I whipped out my phone, and sure enough, the woman involved in the accident earlier in the week was Margery.  Words cannot begin to express what a loss this is not only for myself personally, but also for our local community.

Margery was one of the kindest people I have had the pleasure of knowing.  She sponsored me when I converted to Catholicism, accompanying me to church every Sunday for a year.  She went out of her way to make me feel at home, answering my questions and supporting me throughout the entire RCIA process.  I felt like she genuinely took an interest in me and I immediately felt a connection with her that I thought would last a lifetime.  She was there for my Baptism and Confirmation and is even listed as my Godparent on my baptismal certificate.  I remember being scared the first time I went to confession.  Margery came with me and walked me through the whole thing, making me feel at ease.  It was so special to share with her these very significant events in my life.

Margery is well known in our church community for her active participation in numerous committees and small church communities.  She was a both a lector and Eucharistic minister.  Aside from her church involvement, Margery was a huge part of the our community.  She taught in Las Vegas for over 40 years and even in her retirement remained active, mentoring young teachers and assisting in lessons.  To say that she will be sorely missed is a huge understatement.

Margery never married or had children.  This always striked me as odd as she was one of the most loving people I have ever met.  Looking back, I think she devoted her life to serving others.  Some people spend their lives serving their family alone, their charity failing to extend beyond their own home.  Margery was not that way.  She loved everyone she met and cared for them accordingly.  How fortunate that I was able to receive just a piece of that love.  She had such a gift for making you feel special and worthy.

The gifts that I received from Margery in the three years that I have known her will remain with me for my entire life.  She was a wonderful example of the kind woman I would like to be.  I wish that I was able to adequately thank her for everything she has done for me, but words could never express how special she was to me.  I have a feeling that I am only a small part of a much larger group of people whose lives were positively impacted by this remarkable woman.



Reason, Season, or Lifetime

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
When you figure out which one it is,
you will know what to do for each person.


When someone is in your life for a REASON,
it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
They have come to assist you through a difficulty;
to provide you with guidance and support;
to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
They may seem like a godsend, and they are.
They are there for the reason you need them to be.

Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON,
because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
They may teach you something you have never done.
They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person,
and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

-- Unknown

1 comment: